Thursday, February 17, 2011

Goal #11: Try 75 new recipes (9/75)

I love potstickers but I've only ever made the Edamame Dumplings. I looked through several different recipes for Pork Potstickers including one by Alton Brown. It had ketchup and mustard in it though. Sounded weird. I ended up making these potstickers. What I did differently was I used 2 1/4 cups of cabbage/carrot coleslaw mix and store bought wonton wrappers. I was a little worried that the pork wouldn't get cooked well enough so I fried them on both sides before adding the water.

The dipping sauce was the finishing touch on these dumplings. They tasted like ones from a Chinese restaurant. I used the extra that we didn't eat for dinner and filled the wrappers and froze them (prior to cooking). Another website said to just thaw in the refrigerator before frying.

Goal #78: Eat at 5 local restaurants we haven't tried yet (5/5)

Last weekend our dear friends Rob and Kandyce offered to watch Ryan so we could have a date night. We were going to eat at Stonewood Grille (they have an awesome chicken salad that has giant fried wontons layered with greens, cabbage, chicken, etc.) but their only reservations were at 5:15 and 7:45.

We wanted to catch a 7:50 movie so we decided to eat at Tribeca Tavern. I wasn't sure of the type of food they served but Rob said it was good. Rob knows good food.

They had bar type food for appetizers, pizza, salads, sandwiches and burgers. They are apparently known for their gourmet style burgers. The restaurant was very nice. All of the food had good presentation. Jimmy had the Cobb Burger which was pretty much a cobb salad on top of a burger. He thoroughly enjoyed it. He had the homemade potato chips as a side. I LOVE homemade potato chips dipped in ranch. However, these were a little too thin and over fried. I still helped finish them off though.

I enjoyed the Sesame Seared Tuna salad that had Napa cabbage, wasabi peas, sprouts, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes and a ginger-soy vinaigrette over spring greens. Delish! This was spicy but it had the good burn that keeps you wanting more. 

And for dessert....I wanted to go to Rita's but we were running out of time so we decided to have dessert there. Jimmy wanted me to decide between the Turtle Cheesecake and the Fudge Brownie Sundae. I couldn't decide so I resorted to my 1st grade self and did "Eeeny, Meeeny, Miney, Mo".

Turtle Cheesecake!!!

Awesome!

There was a raspberry puree garnishing the plate and a little whip cream dollop. Absolute heaven!

Goal #10. Make 4 meals for new mommies (2/4)

One last thing. I'll make short and sweet. My friend had her baby last Friday and I had the pleasure of preparing a meal for her family tonight. Even if this was not one of my goals I still would've made it. I love cooking for other people. Her baby is wonderful and beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment