Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Finally Finished!

We moved into our new house in November. I just finished Ryan's room today... It has pretty much been done except the magnetic board. Just an FYI: Do NOT buy the magnetic spray paint made by Krylon. I bought one can and did 4 coats on the attic door (below) and it had zero magnetism. I called the company and they sent me another can and said maybe I needed more coats. How about 4 more coats and still nothing. It was like I had just sprayed a bunch of gray spray paint on it. What a waste. 


Anyway! Thanks to my friend Jess for giving me the idea of using orange as an accent color! It turned out so cute!


Ryan's room used to be a baby blue color. Yuck. We had it painted a nice neutral color that would be good for re-sale. If you know us, you know we move a lot so we have to think a little in advance to save time and money.


The bed, nightstands, lamps and duvet set came from Ikea. The nightstands were just unfinished pine and I got, what I like to call, "Home Depot" orange to match the sheets. I love how all of Ryan's books have a home. Lucas tears them all off for fun but at least there's a place for them to get returned. I got the sheets from Target...I think. Maybe Wal-Mart. I use a white fitted sheet to break it up a little.They are soft though! 



This is above his bed. Just some scrapbook paper in frames. The lowest one is a map of the Midwest-Eastern US. I was going to draw a little dotted line from Raleigh to Chicago but haven't gotten around to that yet. The middle frame has a quote from Dr. Suess "Today you are you, that's truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you." Frames from Target. 


This wall is parallel to Ryan's bed. The shelf is a Ribba picture shelf from Ikea. I put it low enough so he can get the books on and off by himself. I made the canvas above the shelf. I handpainted the chevron print (pain!) and the R in a funky font.


Again we have Ribba picture shelves. The dinosaur is really cool. It's made of metal, screws etc...really it's just a sculpture but I got it at Hobby lobby for like $7! I don't let Ryan play with it because it's got some sharp points on it... And it's heavy... And I can see him attacking Lucas' head with it! "Woooaarrr!" (That's how Ryan says it)


This is on the other wall parallel to his bed. A nice little cube storage unit that we got at Target when Ryan first started getting tons of toys. The picture above is a cross-stitch piece my mom did. Hours upon hours, upon days, upon weeks spent on that! Thanks mom!


And there's that stinking attic door. I just ended up painting it with white trim paint and I got a magnetic white board at Hobby Lobby for $7. :) Love that place. 



And in a corner we've got a KidKraft table that I got at a yard sale for $15! 


And hanging on the wall is the paddle that our friends Rob and Kandyce made. 


I thought I'd just throw in a picture of the boys' bathroom because I think it's super cute. Jimmy painted it when we were visiting my sister. You can't see it but there is really nice crown moulding in there. That little stepstool was made in 1987 by my PawPaw. 


1 comment: