Sunday, October 3, 2010

Goal # 11: Try 75 new recipes (1/75) and Goal #63: Baby sit for a friend

This weekend was in a word - crazy. It was a whirlwind. I don't even know where to start.

Let's try Friday....My pregnant neighbor called me and told me she'd been having contractions about 3-5 minutes apart for 4 hours and asked if I minded watching her kids that night if she had to go to the hospital.  Of course I was happy to help. She, like me, doesn't have family close by to come watch her kids at the drop of a hat.

Her kids are 7, 4, and 3. They are well behaved and are pretty independent.

I took her my exercise ball to sit on during contractions. That really helped me when I was laboring with Ryan. I asked her if she wanted to go walking to get her contractions on a roll. At this point she wasn't even flinching with her contractions and didn't even have to stop talking. We walked up and down the road in our neighborhood several times. I pulled Ryan in the wagon along with us.

Around 8:30 she said the doctor wanted her to come in to get checked so I headed over to her house. The kids were excited and wired so we played some Wii games and then watched Madagascar. I had the younger kids go to bed at 10:30. Late, I know, but it was a special occasion.

I did not get a lick of sleep but it was worth helping out a friend in need. Their cats were going crazy. They knew something was up. I'm not a cat person but their cats are nice. At one point, I think it was 4 a.m., one of the cats was batting at the plastic wrap that was over the carseat. UGGGHHH!!!

She and I were texting throughout the night when she got updates. Her labor was creeping along.

In the morning I brought the kids to our house and Jimmy made them breakfast. Then I took them to the park. They played for a bit then we walked around the lake.

After lunch the younger kids took a nap.

At 12:04 p.m. the baby was born. Healthy. She was 4 weeks early and perfectly fine.

After the nap I took the kids to the hospital to meet their new baby sister. They were so excited. Mommy and baby were doing great. She was so tiny. 6lbs. 14 oz. and just as cute as can be. I got to hold her and she was a little feather.

I went home and left the kids at the hospital since their grandma came.
*************************************************************************************************************

We had a birthday party to go to on Saturday night. Another neighbor was turning 30 and since she was born in 1980 she had an 80's party.

I made some Ham and Cheddar Pretzel bites I found on the Pink Parsley blog. The recipe is from Gourmet magazine. They were a little time consuming just because I had to let the dough rise for 2 hours and then once I rolled them up I had to let them rise for another 30 minutes. I think I cut that part short since I was in a hurry. They tasted really really good but I think the texture would've been better if I let them rise more.

The serving platter was cleaned off so I guess everyone liked them. I will make these again...when I have ample time.

The party was great. Everyone dressed up in clothes from the 80's. I haven't uploaded our pictures yet but I will add them to this post when I do. Just a tease - I had big hair and Jimmy had a rat-tail...
*********************************************************************************

Today we took Ryan on the American Tobacco Trail. We rode our bikes and had him in his new child carrier seat he got from his Aunt Linda for his birthday. The trail is like a packed sandy road and is very smooth and pretty level the whole way. There was only 1 hard hill and a few easy hills. We rode 6 miles total. Ryan kept going "ooooooooooohhhhh, eeeeeeeeeehhhhhh". He saw horses and lots of dogs on the trail. The weather was so nice and there were lots of people out there.

I took a really good nap when we got home. I am just so tired from everything that went on this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment