Sunday, August 5, 2012

Goal #42: Donate Blood

Yesterday there was supposed to be a blood drive at Panera Bread. I drove all the way up there and didn't see anything going on. The manager told me that it was cancelled but I could still have my cookie. Score. The blood bank was just a mile up the road so I went hoping they were open and taking walk-ins. That makes it sound like Great Clips...

I was able to give blood! Little did I know the excitement was about to unfold. 




About 2 minutes after they were finished I started feeling light headed. They flipped my chair back and told me to keep my eyes open. I've passed out a few times in my life so I knew I was about there. I told them "I'm going, I'm passing out." All the while they kept talking to me, calling my name, trying to wake me. I felt like I was dreaming. My eyes were closed and was waking up.


The room was spinning and I couldn't keep my eyes on a fixed point. 


I could hear one of the workers on the phone talking about me. She had called 911. About a minute later there were 6 or 7 paramedics, EMT's, firemen...I don't know who all it was, standing around me. Taking information. Pricking my finger. Taking my blood pressure. I was embarrassed. 


Apparently I was out for over 30 seconds and my body got really stiff. 


The paramedic asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital. Uh, no! He told me if they had to come back they would take me to the hospital. No do overs.


I was starting to feel ok. Just really tired and queasy. About 30 minutes later another wave of nausea and lightheadedness hit me. Hard. Revert to legs back in the air. Fan blowing on high, cold compresses, the works. I managed to pull through without passing out. Thank you Lord.


My neighbor was nice enough to come get me so I didn't have to wait around forever to see if I could drive. 


What a day.


I'm sorry to all the people out there who need my O- blood. I just can't do it. If one of my kids needs blood or a family member I will do it again in a heartbeat but other than that I'm staying out of the blood banks.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! I bet that was scary...and embarrasing! Glad you are ok.

    ReplyDelete