Thursday, May 2, 2013

Goal #4: Grow Herbs in a Terrarium & Goal #28 Plant Blueberry Bushes

Two weekends ago I finally bought two different blueberry bushes. There were two or three spindly little branches on each and by the time they made it into the ground there was only 1 left on each branch. The plants were very brittle. I planted two different kinds so they could cross pollinate. I guess this produces more fruit? Not sure. That was just the recommendation. Maybe in the next year or two there will be some fruit on the bushes. I remember my grandmother having a GIANT blueberry bush outside of her home in Mississippi and I always loved picking the sweet fruit and eating it on the spot. 

We also got our garden ready. We made the garden bigger and put up a new fence. Jimmy and I made a trellis that will be for the sugar snap peas (already planted) and the cucumbers and peppers we will get soon. We also started some lettuce and of course we'll have some tomatoes. Depending on how much room is left after that I might plant some strawberries too.

Today Ryan and I went on a rock hunt for a terrarium. I got rosemary and parsley at Home Depot so I put some of that in and Ryan started some basil from seed in a tiny greenhouse I picked up at the Target Dollar Spot. He's been enjoying watching how much it is growing. I put just one plant of each herb in our little terrarium. I don't know if it will last so I didn't want to waste my herbs that are going out in the herb garden. We already have oregano and chives out there that come back every year. Last year the rosemary was accidentally dug up and the mint died. I don't expect to use any herbs out of this but it will look nice on the window sill.

I think I need a bigger jar.











No comments:

Post a Comment