Thursday, January 6, 2011

Goal #53. Cook 3 things from every cookbook I own (6 & 7/?Haven't counted yet)

I bought a book a few years ago at Tuesday Morning called Super Suppers for $5.99. Super Suppers is one of those places where you go make the meal, take it home, and throw it in the freezer for later. This book is turning out to be well worth the six bucks I paid for it!


The day I bought it I looked through it and flagged all the recipes I thought looked good. There are 29 flags. I just made the first 2 dishes this week. I'm slow like that.

On Monday night I made "Red Beans and Rice" - but Jimmy's likes his red beans over cornbread instead so I didn't make the rice.

I usually use the Zatarain's Red Bean Base seasoning packet. This recipe was much easier than soaking and cooking beans for hours and hours. The beans weren't as "creamy" as with the base but this recipe was still good. I also like a ham hock in my beans. I kind of missed that!

Red Beans and Rice (Vegetarian)
Makes 6 servings

2 1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper (I used red)
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
2 16-oz. cans red beans, undrained
1 12-oz. can crushed tomatoes, undrained (I used a 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes with celery, onion and bell pepper)
1 teaspoon Creole seasoning

1. In a small saucepan combine water, rice and salt. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Turn heat to low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.

2. Preheat oil in a large skillet. Saute onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in undrained beans, tomatoes and creole seasoning, simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.

3. Serve beans over rice.

Freeze Ahead: Prepare beans (step 2). Place in a freezer bag and freeze up to 2 months. Defrost completely in refrigerator. Reheat over low heat while cooking rice (step 1).

**Notes** I added more cajun seasoning than called for and I cooked it for well over 30 minutes since Jimmy was getting home later. I also added 1/2 a package of Smoked Turkey Sausage.

also from Super Suppers; I could not get enough :) I personally thought this dish had simple but wonderful flavor.

Chicken a la Provencal

Makes 4 Servings

4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 lbs. total)
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced  yellow bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1. Pound chicken to an even thickness. Season both sides of each chicken breast half with 1 teaspoon of the salt and black pepper.

2. Preheat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until no longer pink (I had to cook longer). Removed chicken from skillet and set aside.

3. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet along with the bell peppers and onions. Saute for 3 minutes. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, garlic, basil, and oregano, saute for 1 minute more.

4. Return cooked chicken and any juices to the skillet, drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Bring to boiling. Turn heat to low. Cover and simmer 5 minutes or until heated through.

Plan Ahead: Prepare vegetables up to 1 day ahead. Refrigerate in a resealable plastic bag.

**Notes** The grocery store I frequent didn't have green bell pepper this week so I just used 1 red and 1 orange bell pepper for this dish. I served this with some Parmesan potatoes I found in the frozen section. The book recommends serving with buttered noodles and asparagus baked with cheese (another recipe in the book).

Two words - so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment