Thursday, March 3, 2011

A few more recipes...

Goal #11: Try 75 new recipes (11/75)

The past couple of weeks have been a blur. I know I made a few things from my cookbooks but I can only remember this Spelt Salad with White Beans and Artichokes. One of the other recipes came from Giada's book. Once I figure out what I made I'll post that one too...

**EDIT 3/16/11**

Goal #53: Cook 3 Things from Every cookbook I own (12 of ?)I finally figured out what the other recipe was...Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Vinaigrette

Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Everyday Italian
Giada de Laurentiis
Clarkson Potter Publishers Copyright 2005

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 (4-pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces (giblets, neck and backbone reserved for another use) (I used a whole chicken and put it on the drunk chicken cooker I have)
  • 1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

Directions

Whisk the vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend. Combine the vinaigrette and chicken pieces in a large resealable plastic bag; seal the bag and toss to coat. Refrigerate, turning the chicken pieces occasionally, for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove chicken from the bag and arrange the chicken pieces on a large greased baking dish. Roast until the chicken is just cooked through, about 1 hour. If your chicken browns too quickly, cover it with foil for the remaining cooking time. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Place the baking dish on a burner over medium-low heat. Whisk the chicken broth into the pan drippings, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the baking sheet with a wooden spoon and mixing them into the broth and pan drippings. Drizzle the pan drippings over the chicken. Sprinkle the lemon zest and parsley over the chicken, and serve.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, I made the Spelt Salad with White Beans and Artichokes two Saturdays ago. I couldn't find spelt so I used couscous. Since spelt is a grain that is packed with protein I'm sure I made this less nutritious by using couscous (which is a pasta).

The dish was perfect for a light Saturday lunch. Ryan, of course, did not eat it but he did eat some of the white beans before they were added to the dish.

I wish I would have had some crusty artisan bread to go with this. I'm addicted to carbs. The couscous had enough carbs for that meal...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimmy's birthday was last week and we had our friends, Rob and Kandyce, over for dinner. Jimmy requested spaghetti and meatballs, salad, and garlic bread. I had made this for our friend that had a baby the week prior and Jimmy was dissapointed that we weren't eating the same thing for dinner that night.

Jimmy loves Dairy Queen's ice cream cakes. I went out the day of his birthday, apparently too early, because we got to DQ at 10:30 and they didn't open until 11. Ryan was ready to go home for a nap so we stopped by the local cupcakateer instead (I just made that up....not sure if it's really a word).

Here's the link to the photographer's blog... The Cupcake Bite. The store doesn't have their site fully constructed yet. It's a really cute store and the cupcakes were delicious!! I got two Triple Chocolate and two Cookies and Cream.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I didn't have the other new recipe in my brain I'll share our favorite sandwich to make at home. It's called a "Cobb Salad Sandwich". I use spinach instead of lettuce. I could probably eat these every week. The horseradish-basil mayo is really tasty and the croissant is the perfect vessel for all the toppings. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment