Thursday, December 8, 2011

Goal #11: Try 75 new recipes (32 & 33/75)

Goal #11: Try 75 new recipes (32/75)

I forgot about two recipes I tried recently. One was not edible - salt dough for ornaments. My sister got Ryan a toddler art book for his birthday that had a recipe for salt dough.

4 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 1 3/4 cup warm water. Mix together and knead for 5-10 minutes. Roll out and cut your shape and let air dry or bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes per 1/4".

I halved the recipe (which the book said was ok!) but I had to add more flour. We made Ryan's handprint, Lucas' handprint and a few stars, angels, and a Christmas tree. I baked these but after about 10 minutes they started puffing up. The only thing that turned out was Ryan's hand and I kept two of the stars even though they puffed up. I only baked the items for 30 minutes and then let the ones I kept air dry for several days.



Ryan painted them and hung them on the tree yesterday.



Some of the other recipes I've seen have said to bake them at a lower temp (250 or so) for longer. Maybe they won't puff when baked low and slow. I think next time I'll just air dry them so I don't have to worry about ruining them. I still need to go back and redo Lucas' handprint. I think there might be a recipe for salt dough in my family cookbook.


Goal #11: Try 75 new recipes (33/75)

Super easy recipe I got off the side of a bag of pretzel rods.

Pretzel Rods
Chocolate Chips
Sprinkles

Melt chocolate. Dip pretzels in chocolate and let sit a minute. Roll in sprinkles and stick them in a cup with the "handle" of the pretzel down. Place in refrigerator until completely set.

Ryan and I love eating these!

No comments:

Post a Comment