Thursday, December 8, 2011

Several Goals and a cracklin' craft

Goal #40: Watch the sunrise

This morning Lucas decided he was ready to be up at 4:30 and Ryan was up at 5. We've had our front windows open since that is where the Christmas tree is. I noticed this morning as we were sitting in the living room in the dark and the sky started to get this beautiful shade of red. I immediately thought "Red sky in morning, sailors take warning!" The news is calling for snow tonight.


After the sun came up I was messing around with my camera and taking pics of the tree.


I like this one better.


Ryan grabbed the iPod and started taking pictures of me taking pictures of him and the tree...



Goal #70: Repurpose 5 items (2/5)

I found a tutorial on how to crackle paint with glue HERE. Yep, that's right, good old Elmer's Glue. On the tutorial they did the crackle technique on wood. I wanted to try it on glass so I used some baby food jars. My thoughts were that I would get a cool looking jar and put some succulents in it to place on a new shelf we got last weekend for our sunroom.

So here's what I did...

You need at least 2 colors of paint. One for the base layer and one for the top layer. You will see the base layer through the top layer.


I used acrylic paint and it stuck beautifully to the glass.


Next you paint on the glue (not pictured above). I used Elmer's Glue All since that is all I had (you'll see later that this was too thick).


You let that dry for a few minutes until it's tacky. Then you paint your top layer right over it.


Here's what it ended up looking like. I'm going to try again but this time I will thin the glue down with water and thin down the top layer of paint as well. The brown paint was really thick so I thinned it down. Although it didn't crackle like I wanted it the brown cracked the most. I'll let you know how the second set turns out. 



Goal #82: Put up 3 new pieces of art in the house (3/3)

I found this subway art at Home Goods last weekend. I really love it. We put it up by our breakfast table. I think these are some good words to live by for both Jimmy and I and the kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment