Sunday, September 19, 2010

Goal #53: Cook 3 recipes out of every cookbook I own (3 of ?)

The other night I made another recipe out of the Pioneer Woman's cookbook. Chicken Fried Steak


The recipe involves cube steak, egg, milk, flour, seasonings and oil. I added a few things to my dredging flour that she didn't call for. If I remember right she only called for seasoning salt, pepper and paprika. I added more garlic and onion powder. I battered the cube steaks and fried them up in the cast iron skillet.


They were these beautiful little golden brown steaks sizzling away getting ready for their fate.


After the steaks were fried I drained all but 1/4 cup of the oil to make the gravy. My biggest mistake (and PW didn't have this in the recipe either) was discarding the perfectly seasoned dredging flour. I made my roux with plain flour but it would've been so much tastier with the other. The cast iron skillet was still so hot that when I added my milk the gravy seized up and got so thick in a matter of seconds that I think I had to add double the milk required. I whisked like crazy but it turned out in the end.


I served the steaks with mashed potatoes and a green salad.


The only disappointing part was the gravy. The meat was tender and flavorful. The gravy,  not so much. I could've eaten the steak plain. I love the outside crispy coating!


I smelled like fried food afterwards. I don't fry a lot of foods at home because I don't like how it stinks up my house and lingers for days. My belly was full, though, and that's all that matters.


Even though this is the 3rd recipe from The Pioneer Woman Cookbook I will definitely keep going and posting when I try a new recipe out of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment