Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Goal #53: Cook 3 recipes out of every cookbook I own (4 and 5 of ?)

I bought a Southern Living cookbook awhile back at one of those parties. You know the kind I'm talking about. All I remember is the food being really good. I discovered my favorite pimento and cheese recipe there. I had my friend copy it down for me and it's the only one I use now. I'll post that another day.

There was a consultant that showed us a few pieces then we got to order from the Southern Living catalog. I got a really nice cross that is now hanging in my dining room and this cookbook.


I've had the book for at least 4 years and have only ever cooked one thing out of it. Last night I made 2 things. Sloppy Joes (because Jimmy likes them) and Sweet Potato sticks.

The sloppy joes were really good. Jimmy likes Manwich - I do not. I'd rather have homemade than from a can any day. I thought the joes were worth the effort. While Ryan was having a snack I prepped everything, browned the meat then dumped in the tomato sauce mixture. I put it all in the fridge so I'd just have to heat it up when Jimmy got home.

I prepped the Sweet Potato sticks too. The hardest part was cutting the sweet potatoes since they are a pretty dense vegetable..are they even a vegetable? They just had vegetable oil and Parmesan cheese on them.

When Jimmy was on his way home I popped the sticks in the oven and heated the sloppy joe mixture. The recipe says to stir the sticks every 10 minutes. I did it more often. For some reason everything sticks to my baking pan. I think it's time for a new one.

The Sloppy Joes will be flagged but the Sweet Potato Sticks will not. They weren't all that crispy and I just wasn't feeling them. I recently tried Sweet Potato Fries at a restaurant and these were not even close to tasting as good as those. Disappointment..

I think Jimmy still likes Manwich better but he'll eat whatever I put in front of him. Homemade again next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment